ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:41:49 -0400

        I don't know how they did the activity
but we prototyped this as an exhibit years ago.
You have to have a way of visualizing the
bacteria on your hand before and after the
"washing". We did it with agar containing petri
dishes but it takes a a day or so to culture the
microorganisms on your hand this way. There maybe
harmless dyes that you can use so this can become
a program.

If you use soap and water the effect is not so
great; microorganisms sequester themselves in the
creases and crevices of your skin. In fact
surgeons who use strong bactericidal soaps and
vigorous brushing still use sterile gloves as a
physical barrier.

I would be very careful about the message you are
conveying so that you don't play into the fears
that folks have about "germs". In the context  of
growing on your skin the microbes are not
dangerous. The skin is a good physical  barrier
and many bacteria on skin keep other more harmful
bacteria from gaining a food hold. The second
barrier is our immune system that is very
effective against many, many microorganisms if
they penetrate the skin though an abrasion or
cut. Another point I would suggest to make is
that of the huge number of microorganisms that we
know about and the greater number that we do not
know about only about 1% are harmful. The rest
are beneficial or benign. In fact many bacteria
in side us are essential to are well being. Grem
free animals do not survive well. So I think you
need to put the bacteria that live on our skin
into perspective.

Let me know if you need any more information or help.

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D.
Director of Science