CLASSICAL  February 2008

CLASSICAL February 2008

Re: Music by Brian

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:42:24 -0800

> Adrian Boult recorded the First, but that's really an aircheck
> from Aries--the only one from that series that used the
> conductor's real name.

Sadly, they did not include all of the interviews from the broadcast,
including one with the composer.  As I recall, referring to his symphonies
in general, he says something like, "I never really thought anyone would
play these thing."

> Aries, in fact, put out airchecks of most of Brian's symphonies.

When I read what you wrote, I wondered about those Aries recordings...
why, I am not sure, but I did put together the listing below.

I collected most of the broadcasts of them and have listed both the
releases and the broadcasts I have.  When there was an Aries release,
I have listed the broadcast tape that I have, with the assumption that
there was only one broadcast, my guess, even though I have not taken the
time to compare, would be that in many of the instances the broadcast I
have listed is the same on the Aries discs.  Hope this isn't too confusing.

   1
   Slovenska Phil; Ondrej Lenard Marco Polo/Naxos
   BBC; Adrian Boult; Aries

   2
   Moscow SO; Tony Rowe; Marco Polo/Naxos
   Dresden SO; Ernest Weir ; Aries
   Kensington SO; Leslie Head

   3
   BBCSO; Lionel Friend; Hyperion
   Conservatorio Nacional de Lisboa Orch; Peter Michaels; Aries
   New Philharmonia; Stanley Pope

   4
   Czecho-Slovak Radio SO; Adrian Leper; Marco
   Polo/Naxos/HNH
   Edinburgh Youth SO; Allistair MacKenzie
   London PO; John Poole

   5
   Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra; Francisco Teatro; Aries
   Brian Rayner Cooke, baritone; New Philharmonia; Stanley Pope

   6
   London Philharmonic; Myer Fredman; MHS, Lyrita/HNH

   7
   Royal PO; Charles Mackerras; EMI
   Royal Philharmonic; Harry Newstone

   8
   Royal Liverpool PO;Charles Groves; EMI
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   Royal Philharmonic, Myer Fredman

   9
   Royal Liverpool PO; Charles Groves; EMI
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson;  Aries
   Royal Liverpool PO; Myer Fredman

   10
   Leichesterschire Schools SO; James Loughran; Unicorn/World Record Club

   11
   National SO of Ireland; Tony Rowe; Marco Polo
   Philharmonia Orchestra; Rudolf Schwarz

   12
   CzechoSlovak RSO; Adrian Leaper; Marco Polo/HNH
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   BBCSO; Norman del Mar

   13
   Hamburg PO; Horst Werner; Aries
   Royal Philharmonic; Stanley Pope

   14
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   London SO; Edward Downes

   15
   National SO of Ireland; Tony Rowe; Marco Polo
   Lisbon Conservatory Orchestra; Peter Michaels; Aries
   Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; Stanley Pope

   16
   London Philharmonic; Myer Fredman; MHS, Lyrita

   17
   RTE SO; Adrian Leaper; Marco Polo
   Hamburg PO; Horst Werner; Aries
   Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Stanley Pope

   18
   BBC Scottish SO; Lionel Friend; Marco Polo/Naxos
   Wales Symphony Orchestra; Colin Wilson; Aries
   New Philharmonia; Bryan Fairfax

   19
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   BBC Scottish SO; John Carnarina

   20
   National SO Unkraine; Andrew Penny; Marco Polo/HNH
   Edinburgh Youth Symphony; John Freedman; Aries
   New Philharmonia, Vernon Handley

   21
   Leichesterschire Schools SO; Eric Pinkett; Unicorn

   22
   Leicestershire Schools SO; Laszlo Heltay; CBS Classics
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; Myer Fredman

   23
   Wales SO; Colin Wilson; Aries
   University of Illinois SO; Bernard Goodman

   24
   London Philharmonic Orchestra; Myer Fredman

   25
   National SO Unkraine; Andrew Penny; Marco Polo/HNH
   Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra; Francisco Teatro; Aries
   BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra; John Canarina

   26
   Edinburgh Youth Symphony; John Freedman; Aries
   New Philharmonia, Vernon Handley

   27
   Philharmonia Orchestra; Charles Mackerras

   28
   Hamburg State PO; Horst Werner; Aries
   New Philharmonia, Leopold Stokowski, conductor

   29
   Philharmonia Orchestra; Myer Fredman

   30
   New Philharmonia; Harry Newstone

   31
   Royal PO; Charles Mackerras; EMI

   Philharmonia Orchestra; Charles Mackerras

   32
   RTE SO; Adrian Leaper; Marco Polo
   Philharmonia Orchestra; Myer Fredman
   Kensington Symphony Orchestra; Leslie Head

Karl