CLASSICAL  February 2008

CLASSICAL February 2008

Iberian Reiner

Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:32:33 -0800

Fritz Reiner
Spanish Music

*  Falla:
   - El Amor Brujo*
   - La Vida Breve: Interlude and Dance
   - El Sombrero de Tres Picos: Dances
*  Granados: Goyescas - Intermezzo
*  Albeniz:
   - Navarra
   - Iberia - Fete-Dieu a Seville
   - Iberia - Triana

Leontyne Price, soprano
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner
RCA RCD1-5404 Total time: 70:44
Available through Arkiv CD (http://www.arkivmusic.com)

Summary for the Busy Executive: Reiner, el brujo.

Every so often, a certain segment of the classical-music public (one
to which I belong, incidentally) wonders why record labels withdraw
classic performances in favor of bland readings by new, relatively untried
conductors.  It would seem to make more economic sense to exploit proven
gems already in the catalogue.

Well, now somebody has actually listened to the complaints.  ArkivMusic
has negotiated with the recording industry and can legitimately re-issue
one set of classics after another.  They list over 4800 CDs at their web
site.  It's nice to be able to indulge one's habit without having to
skulk around.  I hope ArkivMusic makes a ton of money off this.  I hope
collectors will support the effort, otherwise why listen to us at all?

Let's just get this out of the way first: Reiner and Price's El Amor
Brujo is the finest recording of the work to date, a landmark of the
stereo era.  It first appeared on a Living Stereo LP, which I bought
almost as soon as it came out.  It seemed more a showcase for Price than
the Chicago, especially since the company bundled it with Berlioz's Les
nuits d'ete, all arranged for soprano, of course.  To some extent, both
Reiner and Price have suffered an eclipse of public notice.  When I was
a boy, I thought Reiner and his Chicago the second-greatest orchestra
in the world (after my home-town team, of course - Szell and the Cleveland).
In many ways, Reiner and Szell took a similar approach to conducting,
which probably spurred my admiration for Reiner.  Both worried over
details.  They weren't especially "singing" conductors.  Rather, both
emphasized rhythm and texture.  Price's heyday came in the late Fifties
and lasted through the Sixties.  I preferred her early to late, but in
any case she was a vocal phenom: a lyric soprano with solid low tones.
The character of her voice changed as she tackled the heavier Verdi roles
from that of incredible sweetness to the cry of eagles.  As her early
recording of Barber's Hermit Songs with the composer at the piano shows,
she could have become a great Lieder singer (and starved to death).  She
had musical smarts and a grown-up sensibility in abundance.  Always,
fortunately, she also had the ability to communicate the drama of a text:
a born opera singer if ever there was one.

What makes this Brujo so special?  First, you have the Chicago and
that glorious sound whipped into a great lather by Reiner.  Second,
this happens to be one of Price's best recordings.  Falla wrote the part
for a mezzo, but Price used this to her advantage, digging deep into her
chest register for groans and moans.  She sounds less like an opera
singer and more like a flamenco singer under the demonic spell of the
duende.  With Price, you have the dark and the dirt and the hot Spanish
sun.  In comparison, other versions sound as if Margaret Dumont's in the
audience.

If El Amor Brujo constitutes the main reason to buy the disc, you get a
lot of first-class gravy as well.  Reiner's account of the Interlude and
Dance from Falla's opera La vida breve makes magic - no other word for
it.  The opening alone seems to come from under the hill.  Reiner's
Albeniz and Granados take back seats to nobody.

And, by the way, ArkivMusic also sells Reiner and Price's Les nuits,
coupled with the best performance (Munch's and the Boston) of Berlioz's
L'enfance du Christ.