ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Kerkman, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:11:16 -0700

Hello list.
   So I was hoping someone could offer up a good explanation of why
cornstarch + water makes such a peculiar non-solid, non-liquid. The
explanation I need has to be appropriate for a group of students ranging
from 2nd to 6th grade and up. From what I can tell from an admittedly brief
internet search, the forces between the starch molecules are strong when
pressure is applied, and when there's no pressure, they relax.
   thanks for any help you can give me.
Oh, and also this experiment (mix about 3pts cornstarch to 2 of water) might
be good for the Halloween-related stuff. I dunno, I guess just because it's
goop. But anyway, if any of you haven't tried this experiment, give it a
shot because it is so, so cool.
Mike

        Michael Kerkman
        Botanical Educator
        The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
        1151 Oxford Road
        San Marino, CA 91108
        626-405-3586