CLASSICAL  November 2007

CLASSICAL November 2007

Playing Music to the Eights

Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:19:28 -0800

http://www.sfcv.org/2007/11/06/eight-is-enough

   Eight Is Enough
   By David Bratman

   Last summer, the Cabrillo Festival gave the West Coast premiere
   of Philip Glass' Symphony No. 8. Glass has been famous since the
   mid-1970s, but he didn't write his first symphony until 1992.
   His symphony project moved along fairly quickly after that, and
   by 2005, he'd reached number eight.

   After the Cabrillo concert, I thought it might tickle the ear
   to celebrate the variety and quality of music that exists under
   the name Symphony No. 8. I searched through my collection of
   recordings on CD and LP, and found 24 works with that title,
   including Glass' own. Here they are, in chronological order.
   How many have you heard? ...

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org