CLASSICAL  November 2007

CLASSICAL November 2007

Re: My Christmas Present to Me

Mark Sealey <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:55:37 -0800

On Nov 28, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Sutton wrote:

> I'd be curious if anyone else has this set, or the Beethoven or Mozart
> sets offered by Brilliant and what your opinions are.

Yes, I have the Bach.

Very mixed - if anything mixed can be 'very' anything.

I got it a couple of years ago after BBC Radio 3 (much declined -
then - and moreso still now: see my sig) had a 'Bach Christmas'
(<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/bach/>) and one warmed to the
saturation in spectacular and perhaps unexpected ways.

I decided the best way to check all CDs for faults (one or two only,
though regrettably the SMP) was to listen sequentially.  It was then
that I confirmed that there are highs and lows...  the cantatas, for
example, are decidedly 'chewey'.  Boxy.  Lots of flat and warbling
intonation.  Not so much variety in approach as one needs/is glad of.

But since they (also) generally used bespoke and reputable forces
throughout, there's also a great amount of good.

Most importantly, I've found it more than useful to have a complete
reference set of my favourite composer so I'm never knowingly without
at least one recording of everything.

How did you buy yours, Kevin?  I sent Euros direct to Munich and got
what then was a better deal than any US retailer was offering.  This had
the unfortunate side-effect of putting me on the parent company's junk
mail list.  But I had already established a good relationship with one
of Kaiser's very helpful and obliging sales people, who eventually got
me off.

IOW, few would collect all the CDs in one of these Brilliant sets (I
also have the Chopin complete works: more 'mixed' still) each for their
own sake.  Nine times out of ten there are more reflective, thoughtful
and accomplished interpretations of most of the content.  But as a way
to have each recording to turn to, it has a lot to recommend it.  Good
luck and happy listening:-)

best...
Mark Sealey
www.for3.org