CLASSICAL  August 2007

CLASSICAL August 2007

Hi Everyone and a Few Great CDs

Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:55:46 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember me.  I used to write for MCML.  Unfortunately,
my computer crashed a few years back and I haven't been able to replace
it until now.  So I just wanted to say hi to all and it's good to be
back.

Of course many cds have come out in this period but I wanted to mention
a few that I've acquired that are really special.

First, there is Wilhelm Kempff playing Schumann and Brahms from the
fifties in a five cd set in the DG Original Masters series.  The playing
is just awesome-especially the Brahms which is beautifully proportioned
and nuanced.  I took it over to a friend's house and we listened to the
Brahms Handel Variations with both of our jaws hanging out.  We were
just going to listen to an excerpt but it was so beautiful we listened
to the whole thing.  I have always loved Kempff but this is especially
great playing even for him.  The set is budget to midprice so it's a
good deal as well.

Next, I finally broke down and bought the Scott Ross complete Scarlatti
box.  It is in a new digipack which is much nicer and more elegant than
the brick it used to come in.  The playing is just fantastic.  Ross is
one of my favorite harpsichordists (along with Blandine Verlet, Davitt
Moroney and a few others).  Naturally,I haven't listened to the whole
set but I have heard a lot of it and in each case he plays the piece as
well as and usually better than anyone else has done.  It's a big purchase
so for those who want to sample there is a one disc set of highlights
and also a three disc set that has a lot of the great sonatas.  This set
is one of the jewels in my collection and I am very happy to have it.

Finally the Grumiaux/Haskil Beethoven sonatas is now out in a three cd
set.  Before this it was only available in the Clara Haskil box from
Philips.  This is so terrific and such great playing that IMO it's the
yardstick by which all other performances of the works should be judged.
Grumiaux's tone is just so sweet and lovely and Haskil's accompaniment
rich and warm that it just sends chills up the spine.  Also, they are
not afraid to be intense where it's called for as in the Kreutzer.  I
strongly recommend this to anyone and the set is also budget to midprice.

So music is good and isn't this all that matters?;)

Best to everyone,

Peter Herwitz