CLASSICAL  July 2007

CLASSICAL July 2007

Orchestral Music by John Gardner

Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:03:36 -0500

John Gardner

*  Half Holiday - Overture, op. 52 (1962)
*  Flute Concerto, op. 220 (1995)
*  Symphony #3 in e, op. 189 (1989)
*  Prelude for Strings, op. 148a (1978)
*  Sinfonia Piccola for Strings, op. 47 (1960)
*  Irish Suite, op. 231 (1996)

Jennifer Stinton, flute
Royal Ballet Sinfonia/Gavin Sutherland
ASV CD WHL2125 Total time: 62:46

Summary for the Busy Executive: Jack, be nimble!

English composer John Gardner (b. 1917) has flitted about the edge of
recognition for years.  Very few know who the hell he is, and yet some
of his pieces have received many recordings and performances.  Part of
his problem, certainly, comes from his artistic outlook.  He seems to
regard himself as a craftsman, or even as a musical toymaker, rather
than as an artistic titan.  One can comfortably fit his idiom into the
William Walton part of Sherwood Forest but his aims, generally speaking
(the First and Third Symphonies are distinct exceptions), belong in a
much more domestic neighborhood.  He has conceived much of his music for
amateurs, which, though it might sound easy on the ears, nevertheless
springs little traps and tricks that keep performers' and audiences'
minds agile.  The scoring is elegant and clean.  After hearing a Gardner
work, I tend to say to myself, "How neat!"

A distinct populist streak runs through Gardner's catalogue.  Like Malcolm
Arnold, he flirts with vernacular styles and jazzy (although not jazz)
rhythms.  Unlike Arnold, he avoids irony.  The vernacular pleases him
rather than serves to make a higher statement about the Nature of Art.
He writes, essentially, light music, not as a holiday nor as a profession,
but as an expression of something basic in his nature.

Almost all the works on the program share a modest viewpoint (the disc
belongs to the "White Line Light Classics" series).  Gardner wrote almost
all of them for school or amateur orchestras.  The brief Half Holiday
counts as my favorite.  It's bright, almost (but not really) cheap, and
it wants nothing more than to bring a smile to your face.  It works with
two ideas, the second of which is simply the first flipped upside-down.
The overture fairly bounces along, a little like the American Jerome
Moross in its straightforward enthusiasm.  Some Morossian harmonies as
well.

The flute concerto, on the other hand, sings a bit more Romantically,
a little like the Walton of the Second Symphony or the Cello Concerto,
at least in its first two movements.  The third is a gavotte that could
have come from Prokofiev.  Walton, however, takes bigger breaths and
speaks of bigger things, no matter how lyrically.  While the Gardner
concerto hints at deep emotions just around the corner, we never really
turn the corner.

That said, the Third Symphony stands in marked contrast to everything
else on the disc.  In three movements (sonata/aria/sort-of rondo), it
tells us that Gardner's no flyweight or at least not merely a confectioner.
It speaks clearly of serious things.  Yet, it doesn't inflate what it
says.  Gardner's habits of economy and elegance carry over.  Unlike,
say, Vaughan Williams symphonies, it doesn't overflow, it doesn't set
to break your heart with too much beauty.  But every phrase is beautifully
shaped, every idea first-rate and memorable, some even surprising.  The
first movement is a little Mahleresque march, although on a far smaller
scale.  The Adagio, gorgeously singing, retains a wonderful coolness, a
poise, a classical sense of moderation.  The rondo, on two themes, bubbles
and dances, as bits of the first movement peek through.  A lot goes on,
and Gardner keeps the traffic straight.

The Prelude for Strings has a tune that wouldn't have been out of place
in a Mahler adagio, but, at under three minutes, it leaves the impression
that it owes you some music.  In other words, the tune begs for expansion.
After its first period, I started hearing all sorts of Mahlerian extensions
in my head, which of course never appeared.  What Gardner has written
is beautiful.  He should have written more.  This is Not Outstaying One's
Welcome to a fault.

On the other hand, the Sinfonia Piccola for Strings is perfectly
proportioned.  A highly sophisticated essay, it brings to mind Tippett's
Little Music for Strings, but without the latter's self-conscious Classical
references.  It plays masterful contrapuntal games.  The second subject
of the first movement gets brought back in inverted form during the
recap.  The second-movement passacaglia uses a modulating bass line, the
first time I've knowingly encountered such a beast. The big danger of
the passacaglia normally lies in the fact that one modulates with
difficulty, while keeping the same bass line, since most bass lines don't
modulate.  I can't think of a single instance in Bach, for example.
Sometimes a composer will use a bass of ambiguous tonality - usually one
that finds itself at home in a "home" minor and its relative major.  But
the fact that a passacaglia normally stays in the same key gives the
opportunity for a piece that builds in power.  However, a badly-written
passacaglia can bore the scuppers out of you.  The tonal sameness can
become exasperating.  Gardner's "solution" - which, by the way, doesn't
make things any easier for himself - just blows my mind.  The quick third
movement, a rondo with two themes, plays with stretto, canon, and fugato.
Yet it sounds not academic, but high-spirited.

The little Irish Suite is a great deal of fun, although not especially
distinguished or personal, as something like Malcolm Arnold's Irish
Dances are.  It's superbly made, if a bit anonymously.  You feel as if
any great craftsman could have done it.  In five short movements, it
uses both traditional and original tunes.  Of the traditional tunes, I
recognized exactly one: the second-movement "War song," "Avenging and
Bright." The fourth-movement "Spring song," a Gardner original, sounds
to my ear the most Irish melody in there.  Not bad for a boy from
Manchester.  Or perhaps I could most easily imagine an Irish singer
singing it.  The finale, "Reel," sparkles with a Grainger-like energy
(two original Gardner melodies among the authentic here as well).  I
would say this work as a whole lies closest to the main corpus of British
light music.  But five minutes after the final cadence and your enthusiastic
applause, you'll probably forget all about it.

I congratulate ASV for bringing this disc out.  Gardner deserves a closer
look than most recording companies have been willing to take.  Sutherland
and the Royal Ballet Sinfonia do a thoroughly professional, if not
visionary, job.