CLASSICAL  July 2007

CLASSICAL July 2007

Free Vinyl!

Gregory Sigman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Jul 2007 08:45:00 -0400

Apologies for the off-topic nature of this post, but I suspect there are
several vinyl aficionados on the list who may be interested.

My employer, Ohio University's Music/Dance Library, has long been the
recipient of large quantities of donated long playing records.  The
librarian has elected to no longer accept those donations and also to
give away the remaining uncataloged backlog of LPs for free to good
homes.  Outside of not having the time to catalog them, we simply lack
the storage space to accommodate more records.  The vast majority of our
patrons (who are 18-24 years old) have no interest in fooling with vinyl
(many of them have never even seen a turntable in action, which makes
me feel right ancient).

So if you're interested in enhancing your own stash of LPs, you are most
cordially invited to trek over to Athens, Ohio and take your fill, first
come first served.  I don't have an accurate count of the records to be
given away, but I can say that it is certainly well over a thousand.
Most of the records are classical (I use that adjective in the broadest
sense, encompassing medieval through modern art music), with a smattering
of other styles present.  I do not have and will not make a list of
titles.  The vast majority are in good to very good condition.

Summer hours for the Music/Dance Library are only weekdays from 8am-5pm,
I'm afraid, but if anyone's seriously interested in hauling off a large
quantity and can't make it during these hours, I can probably arrange a
special appointment.  Drop me a line.

Directions to Athens:
<http://www.ohio.edu/admissions/visit/driving.cfm>

The Music/Dance Library is located in Robert Glidden Hall -
<http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/bldgs/music.html>

- building number 40 on this map:
<http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/greens/ngreen.html>

- put that in perspective on this map of the whole campus:
<http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/ioumap.html>

Greg Sigman, Senior Library Associate
Ohio University Music/Dance Library