CLASSICAL  June 2007

CLASSICAL June 2007

Santos-Braga, Kapp, Svejda, Abravanel, and Utah Arts

Roy Ellefsen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 May 2007 08:15:55 -0500

I hope that I am doing this correctly.  I am a subscriber who reads
nearly all of the Classical Digest posts, but until now has not
posted--partly because I have been unsure of how to do it.  Assuming
that I have done the posting correctly, I have a few questions to which
I hope that some of you will respond (I receive the digest version).

I listen avidly to Sirius raido's classsical channels.  I have recently
heard the works of a couoke of composers with whom I am unfamiliar:
Jollly Bragos-Santos (I did that from memory, and the spelling may be
off bit) and Villem Kapp.  What do you know about them?  What do you
reccomend as their best and most accessable compositions for a new
listener.

I used to be a dedicated fan of Jim Svejda's The Record Shelf--yes
I know he's very opinionated (which ought to put him in good standing
on this list) and I don't necessarily take all of his opinions as gospel
truth--neverthess; his opinions are always articulate and interesting,
often entertaining.  We have moved to a rural spot in Utah with which
I am quite happy except that I am unable to receive Svejda on the local
classical music station (KBYU-fm; yes we have a classical music station
in Utah, a usually- very-good one), but, as fate would have it, I moved
into a dead spot so that I have to listen intentily to separate the
music/commentary from the static.  So, I subscribed to Sirius.  However
I miss Svejda.   I wonder if there is any way to find his braodcasts on
the internet, or if his programs are for sale.  I am not technologically
gifted.  I did an internet search for Svejda (subject to my limited
command of the internet) and found nothing that I recognize as being
useful.

I'm a native Utahn.  Maurice Abravanel was my boyhood hero.  Does anyone
out there have recollections or opnions abut Abravanel?

I don't know that I've read posts from any other Utahns.  Are there
any out there?  Things are not desolate here.  The Utah Symphony (Keith
Lockhart, conductor) is quite good generally; The Utah Opera gives us
many fine performances; Ballet West is, I believe among the nation's
best; The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (with the Orchestra at Temple Square)
mostly supports the LDS church; however, they do classical programs from
time to time and a good deal of mainstram choral repertoire.  The Utah
Sheakespeare Festival (Cedar City) gives us first-rate Shakespeare.  Both
BYU and the University of Utah have good music programs, concert series,
etc.  And Sirius, Classical Digest, and a good CD collection help to
keep me abreast of much of the supposedly more sophistcated world out
there.

Roy Ellefsen
Mount Pleasant, Utah