CLASSICAL  April 2007

CLASSICAL April 2007

Hamelin's Haydn Sonatas

Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:59:44 -0400

Haydn: Piano Sonatas
Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano
Hyperion 2 CDs

5/5 stars

The Joy of Music

In my mother's and then later my wife's collection of cookbooks was one
called 'The Joy of Cooking.' I can think of no better epithet for this
two-CDs-for-the-price-of-one collection of Haydn piano sonatas than 'The
Joy of Music.' We know that Haydn was one of the most joyful composers
and certainly that adjective applies to his 60 or so piano sonatas (of
which there are ten presented here) and there is absolutely no pianist
before the public today who conveys the joy of music-making more than
Marc-Andre Hamelin.  Even though I would never have dreamed he would
bring out a Haydn sonata collection -- one associates him with
less-well-known music, usually of the super-virtuoso sort -- I am
thrilled that he did.  (And come to think of it, Haydn's sonatas aren't
as well known as they deserve to be.) Let me say that this set eclipses
any other Haydn sonata recordings I know. It's that simple.  There is a
such superhuman clarity, such grace, such stylish phrasing, pearly runs,
precise figurations, such technical aplomb and such high spirits as to
allow me no other conclusion.

The contents of the two CDs are representative of Haydn's entire sonata
output, with a couple of the masterful late sonatas -- Nos.  50 in C and
52 in E flat -- cheek by jowl with some of the earlier, less experimental
ones, such as No.  23 in F.

It's a wonder to me that Haydn sonatas are not more often played or
recorded.  Perhaps, like the piano trios, it's because there are so many
of them.  But if you compare the number of recordings and performances
of Mozart sonatas with these gems the disparity is astonishing.  I find
that I turn to the Haydn sonatas in my own listening more often than I
do the Mozarts, although I love both sets of sonatas immoderately.  And
now that we have this group of sonatas played by Hamelin I suspect I'll
be doing so even more often; in fact, there has been no other music in
my car CD player for the past two weeks.  Is it too much to hope that
perhaps there will be more Hamelin recordings of Haydn?  One can only
wish.

It's a lovely gesture, by the way, that Hyperion has chosen to issue
this set of two CDs for the price of one.  Thank you, Hyperion!  And
thank you as well for including the enlightening and exhaustive essay
on the sonatas by Richard Wigmore.

Very enthusiastically recommended.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000N2H832/classicalnet

Scott Morrison