Re: Communication

"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:06:35 -0500

This message  was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to  the CLASSICAL
list at COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM. If you simply forward it back to the list, using a
mail command  that generates "Resent-" fields  (ask your local user  support or
consult  the documentation  of  your mail  program  if in  doubt),  it will  be
distributed  and  the  explanations  you   are  now  reading  will  be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>I have to admit I am not "getting" the Grosse Fuge.  How do you say
>"unlistenable" in German?

I'm not a believer in "having to get".  With me it's much like a new
pair of shoes, either they feel right out of the box or they never will.
I loved the GF on first hearing and still do.  I recommend that you sit
back and take an overview, don't try to pick it apart.  It's a quite
short work so it's certainly possible to hear it all in one sitting,
it's not background music to be heard whilst doing something else.
There has not been a recorded performance of it (neither string quartet
nor orchestrated versions that dosn't get down deep into my heart.  For
me it's both over-powering and overwhelming.  Of course one has to be
in the right mood to listen to it (or anything else for that matter).
It's changes my mood and outlook on life once it's over.

Norman Schwartz