Play MPE - "I Have Heard the Future"

Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:06:20 -0700

In 20 (30?) years of computer use, I never met a new application I didn't
like... to cuss out because of all the initial difficulties, missteps,
non-existing customer service, etc.  Not long ago, even with determined
efforts on my part and by the company (to remain nameless), I spent
*weeks* on trying to make a music-download system work, and finally
just gave up.

Against that experience, I am delighted with Play MPE, the Secure Media
Delivery System - which, no so incidentally, may well be part of the
coming era of music distribution.  I started to install it at 10 a.m.,
had one question (about password), got instant reply, concluded the
installation, started using the service, and by 10:08 I was listening
to the fine new album "Debussy and the Moderns" happily.

At this point - very early in development - MPE (I don't even know what
the acronym stands for - perhaps Multi-Programming Executive?) is available
only by invitation to industry professionals, but it's sure to evolve
fast into a commercial delivery system.  Already, it supports PC and
Mac, available in English and Spanish, with a choice of audio file export
options including WAV, Scott Studios WAV, WMA and the licensed AAC (iPod)
file.

And, it works.  Keep an ear on it.

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org