From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:24:57 -0500
Sometimes I wonder if I'm turning into a saleswoman, as I bring an array
of breastfeeding supplies to my childbirth class the last night (along
with paper and real diapers, not that I have any prejudices...).
    At my last reunion, I said to a mom who was considering what kind of
pump to buy/rent, "I hope I don't sound like an overeager salesman here."
Her reply:  "I appreciated the fact that you could give me information
and then leave me to make a good decision.  I mean, who else is going to
tell me about hand expression when I go in to look at pumps??"
        I think all those years in LLL when I was so very wary of
equipment help me to maintain my integrity, but also to know that there
are situations where a little bit of equipment really can preserve the
breastfeeding relationship.

        Now on to another question.
        Mom has what she considers a nice milk supply, happy baby.  Has
Depo Provera IM for birthcontrol, dr says no problem with breastfeeding.
        Three weeks later mom calls and says her supply has gone down
drastically -- in fact, "I think it's disappeared" is what she said.  My
Nursing95 says serum levels hit peak in three weeks....Kathleen B. says
she's called Upjohn for a similar case and they said Depo Provera would
increase the mother's milk.
        Any info???   Thanks.    Dawn Kersula
PS - Mom is nursing, pumping, and staying in bed with baby, with incr
fluids and etc and the supply is improving.)