CLASSICAL  December 2006

CLASSICAL December 2006

Renting Cellos in Berlin, Germany

Mon, 18 Dec 2006 00:43:33 -0500

I am taking my student orchestra on tour to Berlin, Germany in January.

Are there places to rent cellos in Berlin?  Thank you for your assistance.

For those of you who may be in Berlin, here is our itinerary.  Please
join us on the 14th of January at 5 pm when we will give our free concert
featuring Brahms Double concerto and Shosatkovich's first Symphony.

Berlin Tour Itinerary

Berlin is a city of contrasts.  It has served as the capital of Imperial
Germany, the Weimar Republic, the Third Reich, the German Democratic
Republic, and now the reunified Federal Republic of Germany.  During the
cold war, the wall that ran through the middle of the city was the most
powerful symbol of the division between East and West.  On the night of
November 9, 1989, the dismantling of that same wall became the symbol
of the end one era and the beginning of another.  Today, Berlin is the
capital of a reunified Germany and is undergoing a massive rebuilding
campaign that places it firmly at the center of a new Europe at the
beginning of the 21st century.

Berlin's diverse culture offers something for everyone, from symphonies
and operas to techno, from classical theater to avant-garde cabaret,
from world-class museums to small art galleries, from 18th-century palaces
to the modern shopping arcades of Potsdamer Platz.

From January 10-16, 2007, the Cornell Symphony Orchestra will lead an
orchestra trip to Berlin, where we will explore these many sides of the
German capital.  We will perform with two Berlin area orchestra members
on January 14 at the Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Grunewald.  We will
also attend an open rehearsal by the Berlin Philharmoniker and attend
their concert.  We will also attend a performance of Die Fledermaus at
the Komische Oper.  We will also visit the Pargamon and the Jewish museum,
plus a visit to the US embassy.  Here is the itinerary.

January 7 Sunday
     7-10 pm Pre-tour Rehearsal in B20 in Ithaca, NY

January 8 Monday
    10-1230 pm Rehearsal in B20
    2-5 pm Pre-tour Rehearsal in B20 in Ithaca, NY

January 9 Tuesday
    930 am load Charter bus from Ithaca to JFK airport
    10-3 pm Ithaca to JFK bus ride
       3 pm check in for flight
    depart from JFK
    January 10 Wednesday
    arrive in Berlin Tegel Airport 955 AM(group 1), 1130 AM(group 2)
    charter bus to Generator Youth Hostel

    Evening rehearsal 7-10 pm at Generator Youth Hostel (joined by two
Berlin area youth orchestras)

January 11 Thursday
    730 AM breakfast
    8 AM leave for Philharmonie
    9 AM arrive at Philharmonie
    attend Berlin Philharmoniker Rehearsal
    afternoon sightseeing (afternoon also reserved for possible
masterclass with members of Berlin Phil)
=09Visit to Potsdamer Platz

    8 pm attend Berlin Philharmoniker concert
    Berliner Philharmoniker
    Christoph Eschenbach Dirigent
    Ludwig Quandt Violoncello
    Henri Dutilleux    Tout un monde lointain, concerto pour
violoncelle et orchestre    Peter Tschaikowsky    Symphonie Nr. 6
h-Moll op. 74 "Pathetique=AB

January 12 Friday
    Morning Rehearsal in the Youth hostel 10-12 pm (joined by two
Berlin area youth orchestras)
    2 pm afternoon visit at US embassy in Berlin
     Chamber Music concert at the Embassy

Ka de we dinner
    Early group dinner
    evening attend Komische Oper: Die Fledermaus

January 13 Saturday
    1030-1 pm morning dress rehearsal in Church
    afternoon sightseeing (Museum afternoon - students will have the
option of choosing from a list of Museums; Pargamon, Jewish museum, etc)
    evening attend concert

    20:00 Uhr | Grosser Saal
    Konzerthausorchester Berlin      Richard Hickox
    Program

Conductor
Chris Younghoon Kim