CLASSICAL  December 2006

CLASSICAL December 2006

Crumb, Lorca, and Amazing Grace

Reid Minot <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:18:09 -0600

     George Crumb

*  Songs, Drones, and Refrains of Death (1962-68)
*  Quest (1994)

Nicholas Isherwood (baritone); Ensemble New Art/Fuat Kent.
Naxos  8.559290 Total time: 54:45

Summary for the Busy Executive: Harvest from stony ground.

As far as fashion goes, the Sixties and Seventies were largely a dismal
time for new music.  Composers, tired of patronizing treatment from the
academy, particularly from the scientific and mathematical divisions,
decided to out-scholacize the scholastics.  Many of the composers then
had mathematical training and wrote music using clues from set theory.
The problem was that most of the results sounded pretty much the same.
An individual voice like Milton Babbitt spawned little tadpoles whose
musical essence was distinguishable only by other tadpoles.  A drop-the-needle
test with most of this music yields little but futility.  It was a time
when one could write down the Ten Rules for a Successful Piece -- really
a form of deadly artistic gentility, an emphasis on means, rather than
on result.

Yet even during such a period, certain figures stood apart, by a different
sensibility or something as basic as a different sound.  I've already
mentioned Babbitt, but we could also cite Berio, Boulez, and especially
George Crumb.  Arguably, Crumb became the most influential composer of
the period, affecting younger men like Joseph Schwantner and Osvaldo
Golijov and many Europeans, including, I would say, Henryk Gorecki --
all the more remarkable, considering the sparseness of Crumb's output.
Essentially, Crumb is one of those rare composers who re-imagine what
music can be.  These don't necessarily comprise the greatest composers.
C.P.E. Bach, for example, innovated far more than his daddy, Johann
Sebastian, who instead derived his practice from at least a couple of
generations of North Germans before him.  I have no idea whether Crumb
is great, since -- other than by consensus -- I don't know what "great"
means.  However, his music gets inside me and reconfigures my psychic
landscape.

In a way, Crumb writes music that seems, at first glance, not only
spanking-new, but impossible.  The Songs, Drones, and Refrains of Death
typifies his experimentalism.  The sounds, even though much of it made
by conventional instruments, imitate electronics.  The sounds and gestures
seem to exist in isolation, one having little to do with another.  The
music moves so slowly, it approaches stasis.  You wonder how the piece
could possibly hang together, but hang together, it does.  Its snail-pace
becomes gripping intensity.  The isolated gestures are, it turns out,
the perfect gestures for their moment.  The Songs, Drones, and Refrains
constitute perhaps the crown of Crumb's Lorca cycle of the Sixties, so
expressive that when I think of Lorca's poetry, I think of Crumb as well.
Lorca is to Crumb as Housman and Whitman are to Vaughan Williams or Auden
to Britten.  Crumb's music bristles with an idiosyncratic sense of drama.
This is music less concerned with its contemporaneousness than with
expression.  For me, it transcends its time, while other works from the
Sixties and Seventies, so up-to-the-minute then, show their age.

Crumb works very slowly, as if contemplating the perfect niche for a
single note.  Finding a shtick and staying with it has tempted many such
an artist, but Crumb has changed over the years.  Lately, he has changed
with each new (long-awaited) score.  The knife-sharp passion of his Lorca
pieces has, for example, given way to something more gracious, represented
by his Quest.  Crumb admits that the title inspired him but denies that
the work has a program.  To me, it's a kind of hymn to or meditation on
the American South, particularly the Appalachians.  This undoubtedly is
due to the quotes from the folk hymn-tune New Britain ("Amazing Grace"),
which turns up in fragments throughout, but relatively whole in the first
and last movements.  The pentatonics of the hymn leaven and lighten
Crumb's usual dissonances.  A noble work.

Both performances are good, although I prefer Joel Thorne leading the
Philadelphia Composer's Forum in the Songs, Refrains, and Drones on
the Phoenix label.  Thorne's account hangs together better than Kent's.
Still, Kent gives you the flavor of the piece, and the Naxos price may
encourage people to experiment.