CLASSICAL  September 2006

CLASSICAL September 2006

Re: What Music for 9/11?

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:52:26 -0500

Jeff Dunn wrote:

>What music should memorialize 9/11, a day that invokes thoughts, memories,
>and emotions that are many and frightening, mournful and angry, incompatible
>and coexisting?

Not too long ago I thought to myself that in times of tragic events,
more seem to find meaning in art music than in popular music.  As I
recall, after those tragic days the attendance at classical music concerts
rose...but only for a time. For me, it seems that is part of the blessing
of art music and yet, in some ways, it is its curse.  Art music might
touch parts of our spirit that we might not like to always explore.

As for the suggested programming...I am reminded of the 4th of July when
we play the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky...especially sad when there are
so many great patriotic American works.

Since mention was made of the John Adams work...I can only say that I
found it soporific and almost meaningless, as it did not engage either
my mind or my spirit.  As I reflect on his work these last few years,
I find it empty, yet his early works seemed to have such promise.

There are so many fine American works that could be seen as appropriate:

Canning: Fantasy on the theme by Justin Morgan
Jones: Let us now praise famous men
DelloJoio: To a lone Sentry
Herrmann: For the Fallen
Still: In memorium
Copland: Letter from Home
Schuman: Prayer in Time of War; To thee old cause
Foss: Ode
Hanson: Lux Aeterna; Sinfonia Sacra (No.5)
Moore: In Memorium
Barrymore: In Memorium (yes, Lionel Barrymore the actor...who was a decent
composer)
Levant: Dirge (a very moving piece)
Hovhaness: Many of his works
Rosner: Many of his works
Piston: Symphonic Prelude
Bernstein: Chichester Psalms
Persichetti: Introit for strings
Harris: Epilogue to Profiles in Courage
etc.

I guess, when it comes to our own art in the US, we still have such an
inferiority complex.

Karl