CLASSICAL  September 2006

CLASSICAL September 2006

Re: Classical Music Public Database

Robert Douglass <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:33:03 +0200

Hi Ray,

As I didn't receive Steve's message for some reason, I had to go read it
in the archive:

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0609&L=classical&P=3618

The data that was being sorted came not from me, nor from any one
person, but rather from thousands of people who used services like
MusicBrainz to classify their CDs. Obviously, not all of them listen to
classical music, and not all of them have much talent for
classification. Thus the need to sort.

The sorting is useful, however, because it opens the door on the larger
data set. All of those CDs that people submitted to ClassicBrainz, and
all of the composers and pieces and movements and artists that they
captured, that's all accessible to us now that we've determined which of
those genres lead to classical entries.

As to your questions, Ray, I addressed them in the following post on the
project website:

http://classical-music-public-database.com/node/9

-Robert