From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:33:18 -0500
Hi!

Kathy (A), do you remember the pediatric allergist that spoke at the MILC
meeting here the end of last year (I think).  She commented that the only
foods in the mother's diet that the baby could be sensitive to were protein
based foods (milk, meat, eggs, etc) because it is the protein antigen that
can get into the milk.  Could someone please explain the physiology then, of
how citrus is going to change the composition of the breastmilk enough to
cause a colitis in the infant?  Remember, that anything that goes into the
milk has to go into the blood stream first.  As this physician put it (and I
can't remember her name for the life of me, but she's from U of C),
breastmilk is a derivative of the mother's blood, not the mother's stomach.
 So, when we talk about the baby being sensitive to something in the mother's
diet, I hear you, but I'm not understanding how, unless it is a protein
antigen, it can affect the milk so significantly as to change it and cause a
problem.  I would think something more along the lines of antibiotics the
mother is taking would be a culprit....

??

Are we all having fun yet???

Jan (ibclc)