CLASSICAL  August 2006

CLASSICAL August 2006

Call for Violinists, and Audiences in Southern Vermont

David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:51:11 +0200

Hello esteemed MCML,

This is both a concert announcement to the general public as well as
a call for able violinists, amateur or professional, to join us in
a wonderful concert in Southern Vermont over Labor Day weekend.

The Friends of Music at Guilford, a non-profit musical organization of
which I am administrator, is presenting its 41st Annual Labor Day Festival
this Sept 2-3 in Guilford, Vermont.  There are two concerts: On Saturday
at 7:30, a recital of solo organ and chamber music, performed on an 1897
tracker organ in a small barn next to a farmhouse on top of a mountain.
Sunday at 2:00 is an orchestral concert on the lawn of the farmhouse.
David Kidwell is the conductor, with local soloists, and admission is
by donation.

The orchestra is an amateur community orchestra that comes together
every year for this concert.  As often happens, we are flush with cellos
and violas but are lacking in violins.  Thus we are inviting any violinist,
amateur or pro, to come join us for this concert.  There will be no
monetary compensation, however we can promise some yummy snacks and a
terrific lunch the day of the concert, plus an awful lot of interesting
people, ravishing scenery and deep and abiding love of music.  Accomodation
can be facilitated, either in very rustic cabins on the site, or in a
local home, or we can recommend any of many superb local lodging
establishments.

Rehearsals are Friday evening and Saturday morning.  The program, entitled
"Sacred and Profane," includes:

Hanson - Rhythmic Variations on Two Ancient Hymns
Vaughn Williams - Two Hymn-Tune Preludes
David Kidwell - "The Lord is My Shepherd"
Honnegger - Pastorale d'Ete
Debussy - Danses Sacree et Profane
Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite #3
Joplin - The Cascades (arr. Kidwell)

To conclude the concert performers and audience join to sing Randall
Thompson's "Alleluia".

For contact information please consult our website at www.fomag.org.

Thanks and I hope to see some of you there!

David Runnion
Administrator, Friends of Music at Guilford
Guilford, VT  Ph./Fax (802)254-3600