CLASSICAL  June 2006

CLASSICAL June 2006

Re: Symphony of 440

Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:57:09 -0700

David Simmons:

>While not often mentioned, JoAnn Falletta is quite a good conductor.
>I was at a concert a few years ago of the Brahms 3rd Symphony with
>her leading the Virginia Symphony and it was absolutely breathtaking.
>Several months later I attended the Beethoven 9th, same orchestra and
>hall, and it just did not catch fire.  Why?  Wrong day?  Phase of the
>moon?  I think even the "greats" had off days and a truly masterful
>performance is the exception at most concerts.  The great ones just
>do it more often.

I just read an article in today's NY Times on the NY Philharmonic's
difficulty finding a conductor after Maazel's term is up.

I've heard Falletta live, and she was certainly capable, but not
especially wonderful with the Louisiana Philharmonic.  I've tended to
like her recordings more for the repertoire than for the performance.

On the other hand, I have seen a first-rate conductor week in and week
out in New Orleans: Klauspeter Seibel.  He is fabulous in all kinds of
repertoire.  He gets as much out of warhorses like the Eroica, the New
World, and the Tchaikovsky 4th as anybody, and he also explores little-known
byways, including contemporary music (not a lot, but this was New Orleans,
after all).  I have never understood why he didn't have more of a career.
On the other hand, if he had, I probably wouldn't have seen him live.
Any major orchestra could count itself lucky to get him.