CLASSICAL  April 2006

CLASSICAL April 2006

Re: Works Based on the Music of Other Composers

Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:35:54 -0700

Karl Miller responded to Virginia Knight:

>>...  There's a distinction
>>to be made (with a fuzzy area in the middle) between a composer's own
>>variations on/exploration of a theme by another, and a more straightforward
>>arrangement/re-orchestration/transcription of someone else's piece.
>
>It is difficult for me to make a distinction.  For example, the Foss
>Baroque Variations...as far as I recall, he doesn't really change the
>notes, hence, they weren't exactly variations...yet one can find some
>of the "arrangement" done by Berio...or a work like Ludwig van by Kagel.
>The Kagel work is a collage of themes written by Beethoven.  As far as
>I know Kagel did not change any notes.

Just to throw one more potential "variation" in there, there are some
pieces that were simply influenced by a specific piece of an another
composer.  I just happened to be listening to the Dutton release of John
McCabe's Sonata on a Motet (1976).  To quote from McCabe's own liner
notes:

    "(The work) ... derives from Tallis' great 40-part motet "Spem
    in Alium".  However, this derivation is unlikely to be heard,
    since the motet provides simply the major source of inspiration
    for this piece, which is not a set of variations in the usual
    sense."

Here's another that might qualify: Dello Joio's Variants on a Mediaeval
Tune for Wind Orchestra (1963).

>In short, I am looking to open it up, but don't want to open the door to
>works that are clearly Variations...why? I am not sure...perhaps because I
>see it would have the potential to make for a VERY long list.

And how about concert paraphrases or other reworking of pieces.  I was
going to ask "where do I upload the database to?".  The list of Liszt
alone is fairly extensive. :-)

FWIW, this may be a complete list of the Bach transcriptions of works
by other composers:

    BWV  592   J.E. von Sachen-Weimar (Violin Concerto)
    BWV  592a  J.E. von Sachen-Weimar (Piano work?)
    BWV  593   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 522, Op. 3/8)
    BWV  594   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 208)
    BWV  595   J.E. von Sachen-Weimar (?)
    BWV  596   Vivaldi (2 Violin Concerto RV 565, Op. 3/11)
    BWV  597   Unknown composer
    BWV  972   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 230, Op. 3/9)
    BWV  973   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 299, Op. 7/8)
    BWV  975   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 316, lost)
    BWV  976   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 265, Op. 3/12)
    BWV  978   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 310, Op. 3/3)
    BWV  980   Vivaldi (Violin Concerto RV 381)
    BWV 1065   Vivaldi (4 Violin Concerto RV 580, Op. 3/10)

Dave