CLASSICAL  April 2006

CLASSICAL April 2006

Works Based on the Music of Other Composers

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:03:10 -0500

I might be missing more neurotransmitters these days, but I recall a
posting that wanted to know about what other works there might be that
were, like the Warlock Capriol Suite, based on music by other composers.
I checked the list archives and could not find the posting...so, if my
memory is completely in error...well I hate being reminded of having
"senior moments"...

At any rate I recall such a recent posting and finally tracked down a
list I compiled some time ago and figured that it might be better to
provide some assistance, even if it meant my having the appearance of
being delusional...

The pieces below are more transcriptions and/or Fantasias than highly
developed variations.

Any additions would be most welcome.

   Baird: Colas Breugnon, Suite in Old Style (folkmusic)
   Bantock: Old English Suite (Farnaby, Byrd, et al)
   Barbirolli: Elizabethan Suite (various)
        Oboe Concerto (Pergolesi)
        Purcell Suite
   Beecham: Piano Concerto (Handel)
        Amaryllis (Handel)
        The Faithful Shepherd (Handel)
        The Gods go a-begging (Handel)
        Love in Bath [ballet, the Great Elopement] (Handel)
        Origin of a Design (Handel)
   Bennett: Commemoration Symphony (Foster)
        Fun and Faith of William Billings
        Suite of old American Dances
   Binge: Mendelssohniana
   Bridgewater: Old English Music (Boyce, Lawes, Jones, Purcell)
        Old French Music (Martini, Leclair, Couperin, Corette)
   Britten: Matinees musicale (Rossini)
        Soirees  musicales (Rossini)
   Canning: Fantasy on Theme by Justin Morgan
   Casella: Paganiniana
        Scarlattiana
   Coates: Suite for Strings (Purcell)
   Dallapiccola: Tartiniana Nos. 1,2
   Egk: French Suite after Rameau
   Foss: Baroque Variations
        Salamon Rossi Suite
   Gerhard: Pedrelliana
   Gould: American Ballads
        Cowboy Rhapsody
        Foster Gallery
        Serenade of Carols
        Spirituals for Strings
        Vivaldi Gallery
   Gross: Dussekiana for Violin and Orch.
   Henze: Telemanniana
   Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis on themes by Weber
        Suite of French Dances (various)
   Hogwood: Suite (Purcell)
   Holst: The Married Beau Suite (Purcell)
   Mackerras: The Lady and the Fool (Verdi)
   Malipiero: Vivaldiana
   Milhaud: Suite Provencal
   Mohaupt: Offenbachiana
   Orban: Tres Versiones Sinfonicas (Milan, Leonin)
   Panufnik: Suite of Ancient Polish Airs and Dances
   Pinnock: Occasional Suite (Handel)
        Passacaille, Gigue and Menuet (Handel)
   Poulenc: Suite Francaise
   Respighi: Ancient Airs and Dances for Lute (various)
        La Boutique Fantasque (Rossini)
        La Pentola Magica (Russian melodies)
        Rossinianna
        Sevres de la vielle France (French themes from 17th & 18th C.)
        Gli uccelli (Pasquini, Rameau, et al)
   Rodrigo: Fantasia Gentlehombre
   Rosenthal: Gaite Parisienne
        Offenbachiana
   Rubbra: Fantasy on a theme by Machaut
        Improvisations on Virginal Pieces by Giles Farnaby
   Schoenberg: Concerto for Cello and Orch. (Monn)
        Concerto for String Quartet and Orch      (Handel)
   Schuman: New England Triptych (Billings)
        Orchestra Song
   Stravinsky: Bluebird pas de deux (Tchaikovsky)
        Monumentum pro Gesualdo
        Pulcinella (Pergolesi et al.)
   Tchaikovsky: Mozartiana
   Tippett: Fantasia on a theme by Corelli
        Shires Suite (Various)
   Tomassini: Good Humored Ladies (Scarlatti)
   VaughanWilliams: Fantasia on Greensleeves
        Fantasia on theme by Thomas Tallis
        Fantasia on Christmas Carols
   Walton: The Wise Virgins (Bach)
   Warlock: Capriol Suite (Various)