CLASSICAL  February 2006

CLASSICAL February 2006

Re: At Long Last - A Met Project of Commissions

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:38:48 -0600

Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I predict, in spite of the high-profile talent, that not one significant
>opera will be produced (leaving aside John Adams) that will break into
>even the ghetto-rep that is modern opera.  It's a fairly safe prediction.

Hummm...Significant: Full of meaning or import...

Well I guess it depends...I believe great significance will be made
of some of these works...yet, in the long run, perhaps with my cynical
nature getting the best of me, I wonder if audiences want significant
works.

Thinking back on the history of the MET, I am reminded of the few
American operas they did.  I would like to see some revivals: Hanson's
Merry Mount; Gruenberg's Emperor Jones; Barber's Vanessa and perhaps
the MET should do right by Barber's Antony and Cleopatra and give it
a production worthy of that magnificent score and not butcher it like
they did at the first performances...etc.

When I thought about the American opera done at the MET, I went to their
WEB site.  I found it interesting that, depending on the portion of the
archives you search, the composer's name is not included in the register.

Thinking about all of this, I wondered what might I do if I could plan
a season...including at least one commission.  A cursory glance tells
me that there are about 28 titles being offered this season.  Ok, so I
don't know things like what productions are available, costs, etc...but
I wonder, from just the standpoint of repertoire, what would it take to
get me to the opera...say...what 20 operas would I like to hear in a
season and who would I commission...

I would love to know what all of you would program...I will think about
my list.

Karl