CLASSICAL  January 2006

CLASSICAL January 2006

Re: Khatchaturian's Second Symphony

Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:04:26 -0500

Ray Osnato writes:

>I rather like the Khachaturian Second Symphony as well, though its bad
>reputation makes it a bit of guilty pleasure these days.  I find it an
>expressive work too, Bernard, though I can't say I hear much DSCH in it.
>That doesn't mean there is no DSCH in it to be heard, it merely means
>that it has escaped me.  It is a uniquely moving work for Khachaturian
>who, to be honest, could write some real trash.

Well, the Gayne ballet Suite and the concerti are what they are,
but they do not aspire to the expressiveness of the Second Symphony.
According to the WHRB announcer the expressiveness of the work is fueled
by anti-Stalinist protest.  Written in 1943, the Soviet bosses thought
that it was a wholesome wartime rally the populace work.

I missed the very beginning, so I played guess the composer with complete
lack of success.  At one point I guessed Carlos Chavez-but I will never
admit that in public.

The performance was, I believe, of Russian origin from the fifties.
Bernard Chasan, who values what guilty pleasures are still available as
he approaches birthday # 72.

[log in to unmask] (Bernard Chasan)