CLASSICAL  January 2006

CLASSICAL January 2006

Re: Toccata Classics

James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:32:08 -0600

Some more works I would like to hear recordings of:

1.  Henry Cowell's Concerto for Harmonica.  1962.  Never recorded, to
my knowledge.  Lukas Foss, in one of his last concerts as Music Director
of the Milwaukee Symphony, performed it to my delight, in a program that
included one of his own works and one by Takemitsu.  A nice pairing would
be Cowell's complete Hymn and Fugueing Tunes, which I have never seen
brought together.

2.  Harold Shapero's Variations in C Minor, for Piano. 1948.  Performed
by the composer at Brandeis University, where he taught, in 1978.  Also
his Three Hebrew Songs, for tenor, piano and orchestra, performed in New
York at the 92nd St. Y byPeter Kazaras, Aleck Karis and conducted by
Gerard Schwartz.  No recordings, I believe, but I have heard tapes of
these performnces.  I know that following the revival by Previn of his
Symphony for Classical Orchestra, Shapero was working on other compositions,
but I have no details.

3.  Virgil Thomson.  Concerto for Cello and Orchestra.  Theis was premiered
in Philadelphia and New York by Paul Olefsky and Eugene Ormandy (Philadelphia
Orchestra) in 1950 and at the Edinburgh Festival the same year by Anthony
Pini and Sir Thomas Beecham with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.  There
was a recording, Luigi Silva, cello, Werner Janssen conducting the Janssen
Symphony of Los Angeles, on Columbia in 1951, reissued by Columbia Special
Products in 1973, but the sound is quite dated.  The pairing on that was
the Mother of Us All Suite, but it could be paired with the Porter Viola
Concerto, following.

4.  Quincy Porter.  Concerto for Viola and Orchestra.  This was recorded
by Desto in 1965 and in by the American Recording Society in 1953.
Neither is easy to come by and the condition on the copy I eventually
heard made it unlistenable.  Albany may eventually get to this.  Porter's
Harpsichord Concerto I have not heard at all, but could well stand a new
recording, I am sure.

5.  Other composers who have impressed me with some of their works:
Melinda Wagner and Aaron Rabushka.  Both have unrecorded works, including
chamber music, undoubtedly worth checking out.

Beethoven/Weingartner Hammerklavier, I am not sure any is needed, and
I would rather see an investment in adequate rehearsal time, but a
possibility would be the string orchestra version of the Grosse Fuge.

Jim Tobin