CLASSICAL  January 2006

CLASSICAL January 2006

Re: Toccata Classics

Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:19:49 -0000

More comments to respond to.

Deryk Barker quoth:

>...  And I'll wiegh in very briefly, with an off-the-top-of-my-head
>suggestion - well two of them.
>
>Piano music by York Bowen and Harold Truscott.
>
>I believe John Ogdon recorded some of the HT sonatas ages ago for LP -
>do you have a policy on reissues?

I'm less impressed by York Bowen than some are: it seems to lack that
last touch of individuality.  And he does seem to be attracting attention
on his own these days.  But I'm certainly open to persuasion.

Harold Truscott is very much under consideration, and not just because
he was a friend of mine.  We're discussing a recording of the complete
piano music -- without those unissued John Ogdon recordings (they didn't
even appear on LP), since Chris Rice of Altarus tells me he does intend
to issue them one day.

But talking of Ogdon, you might be pleased to know that I am talking
about recordings of his own music with two different pianists.

Karl Miller then offers:

>And I hear the Symphonies of Arnell are in the works...

Indeed, they are (my, how word gets around!): Symphonies Nos.  4 and 5
are due out in March.  In fact, the Third Symphony is due out from Dutton
in February, too, so Arnellians are in for some fun.  The rest of the
Toccata symphonic cycle will emerge over the course of the next year.

Another orchestral cycle already in the can is the complete R. O.
Morris; the first of those should emerge in late spring.

Cheers
Martin