CLASSICAL  January 2006

CLASSICAL January 2006

The Bach Cantatas Website Celebrates its 5th Anniversary

Aryeh Oron <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:49:11 +0200

The Bach Cantatas Website celebrates its 5th anniversary

The Bach Cantatas Website (BCW) was launched in its current form and
address on December 30, 2000.

The BCW is located at: http://www.bach-cantatas.com
This a comprehensive site covering all aspects of J.S.  Bach's cantatas
and his other vocal works.  The BCW contains discussions and detailed
discographies of each cantata and other vocal works, performers and
general topics.  The BCW also includes texts and translations, scores,
music examples, articles and interviews, and short biographies of more
than 3,100 performers of Bach vocal works (singers, conductors, vocal
and instrumental groups).  There are also other relevant resources such
as a discussion of the Lutheran church year, database of chorale texts
& melodies and their authors, reviews and discussions of Bach's non-vocal
works, terms and abbreviations, schedule of concerts of Bach's vocal
works, guide to Bach tour, thousands of links to other relevant resources.
The BCW is an international collective project, being compiled from
various postings about the subject, most of which have been sent to the
Bach Cantatas Mailing List.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank the numerous contributors
to the discussions in the BCML, BRML, Bach Musicology and some other
lists, whose messages are compiled into the pages of the BCW.  Their
names are mentioned accordingly above each quoted message.  I would
also like to thank the many Bach lovers who have sent me material to
be included in the BCW, such as articles, translation of cantata texts,
recording details, biographies, photos, music examples, links to other
sites, etc.  Their names are mentioned accordingly in the relevant pages.

There have been many improvements & additions to the BCW last year.
I would not like to repeat them here.  If you are interested, please
take a look at: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Topics/Newsletter-2005.htm

The number of visits at the BCW has been grown up significantly, and
almost doubled over the past year. During the last couple months the
number of DAILY visits is more than 10,000!. More statistics of the BCW
can be found at:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Statistics.htm

I am encouraged by the positive feedback the BCW is getting from all
over the world. Many of the feedback messages from last year can be read
at the pages:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Topics/About-2005.htm

To mark the beginning of the New Year, I have replaced the Bach picture
at the Home Page of the BCW with a photo of Bach Memorial in Dornheim,
which I took in my last Bach Tour in May 2004.  This Memorial marks
Bach's marriage with Maria Barbara on October 17, 1707.

I continue to look forward to receiving your comments (corrections,
suggestions, improvements, etc.) about the BCW.  The instructions how
to send me comments, appear in the following page:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/How.htm

I wish you all another Great and Happy Bach Year!

Aryeh Oron
Bach and Jazz Music Fan
WebMaster of Bach Cantatas Website: http://www.bach-cantatas.com