ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marcia Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:51:05 -0600

There are hundreds of speakers out there with a variety of expertise.  One
needs to factor in budget, audience, and the event itself.  That helps you
narrow down who to look for.  I have begun a small lecture series here and
have looked into everyone ranging from Jane Goodall to locally known science
experts to fill my needs.  My budget will likely never be able to afford Ms.
Goodall (whose fee for a speech was $50K....then there was the travel costs
and well we'd never be able to afford her), however we can afford to request
a NASA astronaut, host a Russian Cosmonaut, or invite a world explorer who
lives in Washington state.  You are near enough to Denver to find out who
lives in your area and has an expertise that would fulfill the needs of your
audience.  (I even had a guy from Central Oregon who is building a rocket to
launch himself into space....sounds like a pure lunatic, but his science was
sound and he really might succeed).

For big names you will most likely go through a speaker's bureau or talent
agent and expect to pay $5,000 and up.  But the best bet is do some local
research in science and technology companies, universities, etc to see who
has done something new or interesting that will engage the audience.  You
can also contact board members to see who they know or can connect with.

For name recognition you'll pay at least $5K and up.  But a local science
expert may be willing to address your group for a small honorarium.

Marcia Hale
Events, Public Programming, Marketing
The Discovery Center of Idaho
131 Myrtle Street