CLASSICAL  July 2005

CLASSICAL July 2005

Re: Schubert String Quartets -- The Elusive No. 5

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:28:18 -0400

Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>During a trip to Tower today, was very pleased to see the arrival of
>vol. 6 of the Kodaly Quartet's cycle of Schubert string quartets on
>Naxos.  This was, I thought, the final disc in the series.  When I got
>home, I realized that Quartet No. 5 is not to be found on any of the six
>discs.  So I have to ask: Is Schubert's SQ5 known by another name, like
>the 14th is called Death and the Maiden?  The disc I bought today has
>SQ15, coupled with the five German dances; there would have been plenty
>of room on this disc for SQ5.  What about other ensembles' complete
>recordings of the Schubert SQs; do any of them extend to more than six
>discs?  Maybe I have another disc, containing SQ5, to look forward to;
>or maybe it's already out there.
>I have the feeling that I just asked one of those embarrassing
>questions.

Not at all.  It is very confusing to list the quartets by Schubert.  The
most recent standard way is with their Deutsh numbers...  When I started
playing chamber music, they were listed in the score as follows without
the D.  numbers

Op.29, op.  125, No.  1, No.2, Opus Posthumous d minor, Opus 161, opus
168, op.  posth in G minor (only one movement), D major, c minor.

There were only eleven in the "complete string quartets"

Cobbett's Cyclopedic Survey of Chambermusic (1930) lists the quartets
by date from the Boosey and Hawkes critical edition.

Quartet no.1 in B flat 1812 (no D.number), no opus number
Quartet no.2 C 1812 no opus number
Quartet no.3 B flat 1812 no opus number
Quartet no.4 C 1813 no opus number
Quartet no.5 B flat 1813 no opus number
Quartet no. 6 D 1813 no opus number
Quartet no.7 D (not later than 1814) no opus number
Quartet no.8 B flat op.168 1814
Quartet no. 9 g minor 1815, no opus number
Quartet no. 10 E flat (probably 1813) op. 125 no.1
Quartet no. 11 E major (1817 at the latest) op. 125 no.2
Quartet no. 12 c minor (one movement) 1820
Quartet no. 13. a minor (1824) opus 29
Quartet no. 14. d minor (1824) no opus number
Quartet no. 15 G Maj. (1826) Op. 161

Baker's Biographical lists the quartets by date and key and also by D.
numbers!  There are also fragments listed.  A major headache to match
them up, but I do believe that the fifth quartet has only two movements.

So you see, without a Grove's Dictionary (which I do not have) you and
I can both remain a bit confused and we come by it honestly.

I just hopped over to the www.naxos.com website and looked up Schubert
and found your cds already listed, with (yes!) numbers, keys and D.
numbers.  Did they promise to do the complete quartets or just the
famous ones?

Mimi Ezust