CLASSICAL  July 2005

CLASSICAL July 2005

Re: David Diamond Dead at 89

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Jul 2005 07:56:03 -0500

John Proffitt wrote:

>However, an excellent recording exists of the premiere of the 9th, with
>Leonard Bernstein conducting, I believe, the American Symphony Orchestra.
>The Diamond 9th is a very great work, given an extraordinary performance,
>as I recall from the broadcast.  Securing rights to release this on CD
>would not be cheap, but it would certainly be a gift to American music
>in general.

I have a tape of the 9th.  It was with the American Composer's Orchestra.
I also have other fine Bernstein broadcasts of the music of Diamond
including the 5th and 8th Symphonies (New York Phil)...as well as (as
I recall) Diamond conducting his Piano Concerto with the NY Phil.  I
contacted the American Composers Orch...they weren't interested in making
their broadcasts available...perhaps because they figured a small label
wouldn't have the money or the visability to make it worth their effort...

Most of this stuff is going to be of marginal interest.  However, it
seems that some orchestras are digitizing the holdings of their old
broadcasts, and if they are digitized, why not mount them for downloading
(at a price).  The unions, the orchestras, and the composers (mechanical
rights) could get at least something and the public could have such a
wealth of choices.

There certainly is a wealth of choices on the internet radio...

   http://magmasystems.home.comcast.net/UpcomingWebcasts.html
   http://home.hawaii.rr.com/mahlerb/broadcaststartpage.html

Two of my favorites.

Karl