LACTNET May 2005, Week 4

Private Practice LC Part 2

Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:05:04 EDT

Education, and mentoring, is a huge issue, and one which evoke heated
discussion in lactation circles.  As  some of you know, I was closely involved in
the introduction of the experimental  Pathway F, or mentor program for the past
2 years at IBLCE.  Instituting this program from the ground  up was a tall
order.  Numerous  issues still need to be resolved:  a  recertified IBCLC isn’t
necessarily a knowledgeable IBCLC; some perfectly  competent  IBCLCs are not
good  teachers; there have been complaints by students that they are really not
available at all for questions and guidance; almost all of the participants
in  the first 2 years did all of their hours in hospital settings because it
was  easiest and the guidelines did not require otherwise (thus reinforcing the
problem of the IBCLC expert only in the 0-3 day old infant).  Most
importantly the 500 hours MINIMUM  requirement is generally disregarded; to many
applicants and mentors it was a  flat 500 hour requirement, and would you believe
that it took EXACTLY 500 hours  for some of the candidates to master every skill
on the clinical competency  checklist (available at _www.iblce.com_
(http://www.iblce.com/) ) to the satisfaction of her mentor?  The 500 hour requirement
was arbitrarily  set after discussion between ILCA and IBLCE, with the
intention to review the  applications and adjust it upward or downward accordingly
after an adequate  cohort could be established. I guess they were just spot on at
500, although I  for one can tell you I certainly needed many more than 500
hours.  Pathway F also has no requirements, only  recommendations, for
classroom work, discussion groups, post secondary  education, learning how to read and
understand research, and other means of  learning.
There is now a system of accrediting educational programs through ILCA,
known as ILEAC.  Forgive me, I cannot recall the full name, but the program
amounts, essentially to peer review of programs and approval of these  programs.
This is essentially equal to the hens guarding the  henhouse.
Without a standardized, reliable, fair and verifiable method of educating
IBCLCs, we will continue to face the challenges of lack of recognition and
respect, lack of 3rd party reimbursement, failure to earn a living  wage, and the
frustrations of disasters that never should have happened.  Multiple pathways
can and should  continue to exist; there should always be a pathway for mother
support  counselors and those without a college education to qualify to sit
the exam, but  their eligibility requirements must be consistent with those of
the other  pathways.  Physicians, too, need to  have their pathway examined.
They  may earn 900 practice hours, but is that enough and appropriate? And
Pathway C  as it currently stands gives automatic eligibility to sit the exam,
but students  have told me their coursework does not prepare them adequately for
the exam.and  the curricula is not approved by IBLCE or ILCA.  Perhaps these
programs need to be  validated too, if their students are automatically
eligible for the  exam.
I disagree that we cannot and should not be trying to develop formalized,
accredited post high school education. It was, and is, my hope that the Pathway
F program will soon morph into a 2 year college program that would allow for
this. At this point, I do not believe a 4 year program in lactation is
absolutely required, but certainly could be useful in terms of a broader liberal
arts education.   I envision IBCLCs allying with local  community colleges to
design a curriculum including such courses as human  anatomy, medical
terminology, communication and counseling skills, nutrition,  pharmaceutical awareness,
family psychology/relations, adult education skills,  and child development,
among other courses, while qualified IBCLCs would teach  courses in
breastfeeding basics, breast and infant oral anatomy, breastfeeding  equipment, case
studies, The WHO Code and advocacy, and other breastfeeding  specific courses.
Together, under  the auspices of the university, students would be assigned
rotations in  hospitals for their practical experience, much like RNs.  The best
programs would also arrange for  other exposure, e.g. private practice, NICU,
Easter Seals rehab, speech  pathology units, etc.  How can this  happen if we
put aside differences, realize that the competition of week long  courses and
the inappropriate nature of distance learning degree courses cannot  train
professionals that will earn a place with such other allied health care
professionals as speech pathologists, occupational therapists and physical
therapists?
A word about the one week courses, and the “3 day  wonders” as they are
known. I have just returned from a speaking engagement for  WIC State
Breastfeeding Directors.  An alarming number of women with whom I spoke, mostly
nutritionists by  training, were shocked to hear that the ‘week long training’ did not
qualify one  to be an IBCLC, nor was it equivalent to providing the skills and
experience  that the training and exam process of the IBCLC process, nor was
it REQUIRED to  sit the exam.  Our professional  organization, along with the
certification organization, and we, as IBCLCs, have  a responsibility to raise
awareness on this issue.  Whether it is through local ILCA  affiliates, state
breastfeeding coalitions, hospital lactation consultants,  individuals, or
please pay more serious attention to this issue, and explain the  differences.
There are a number of week long courses, some excellent,  some less so.
These courses’  directors, along with IBLCE and ILCA through their published
documents, and  soon-to-be third role delineation study conducted by IBLCE,
together with the  experiences of nearly 16,000 IBCLCs world wide over 20 years is
enough to  establish the basics of an associate degree program.  I find it hard
to argue that anyone’s  one week course could be an equivalent educational
experience, and can find  little reason why we should not aspire to establishing
a degree program as soon  as possible.
I’ve seen and heard of some frightening laziness,  burnout, lack of respect
for babies and mothers (May I touch you?  May I pick up your baby?, jamming
babies  into breasts) recently.  If you’re  overworked, overstretched, or
underappreciated, find a way to save  yourself.  Don’t wait for your  supervisor or
your colleagues to reach out and care.  You won’t do your best, and you won’t
leave a good impression of our profession if you aren’t at your best.
If you are still with me, you are near the end, and may claim your prize  by
emailing me when you have finished this paragraph.  Recertification is another
thorn in the  side of lactation consultants who are tired of picking up the
pieces of their  colleagues less-than-adequate work.  If I had a dime for every
hospital based RN (generally, speaking, but not  always) who told me she wasn’
t recertifying because (a) her hospital wouldn’t  pay for the exam or the
CERPs (b) it was too much work  (c) she didn’t think it was necessary,  she
already was tested in this stuff once or (d) she could continue to be the  ‘
lactation nurse’ without the credential, I’d be looking at that retirement  property
at the beach.  Where is the  professionalism of these IBCLCs?  Where is the
pride, the professional obligation to ‘do no harm’, to  provide the best
possible care?  Why  do we not see these people at conferences?  Even when the
education is free, I see few of the local IBCLCs, and I  understand my area is not
unique I this respect.  Maybe it is these people that might want  to
encourage the development of the lower level credential, with fewer  requirements and
responsibilities.  If hospital administrations are pushing these people to
become IBCLCs,  maybe they should be rethinking their objectives.
I would love to see the members of LACTNET undertake a serious discussion  of
some or all of these subjects, and I would also be happy to discuss any or
all of them off-list.  If nothing  else, I hope my post and those of my
colleagues have prompted you to think  beyond your daily responsibilities and clients
to the bigger picture of our  profession.