ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:37:47 -0700

Lisa,
        I have no problem with folks taking a good idea
and using it to help visitors to their museum learn
the same concept.  But Open Source and Public Domain
is only fine if everyone is capable of providing their own
support and doesnąt need a lot of hand-holding.
        I canąt tell you the number of times people have
seen something I have developed and want recreate it,
but they donąt want to do their own engineering, they
want me to provide them blue prints for free and then
want to be able to call me for free help when it doesnąt
work the way that it was expected to.  I know the
Exploratorium faces the same thing.  People often fail
put a value on your time, they only see their out of
pocket costs.
        My advice to the community is to either be willing
to pay someone else for their time to reproduce a
good exhibit for you (as the Exploratorium does) or
figure you are going to have to provide your own time
to design, test and figure out all the little bits that
take something from an idea to a reliable-user friendly,
exhibit.

Dave Taylor