CLASSICAL  February 2005

CLASSICAL February 2005

Re: Another Classical Station to Bite the Dust?

Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:20:28 -0400

clamav-milter version 0.81b on buphy.bu.edu

Kevin Sutton wrotes:

>As was mentioned in earlier posts, there are lots of places to find
>classical music on the internet, in the record shops etc.  Those of
>us who want it have it in abundance, so where's the big crisis?

Indeed, perhaps I am simply being nostalgic - radio was important to me
when I was discovering classical music as a teenager.  And of course
most of us on this list have substantial collections- although let us
remember that some of us do not have unlimited budgets for cds.

But think of the person- young or old- who is not yet a died in the wool
enthusiast for this stuff.  Classical radio is a almost unique source
of exploration and discovery and it is available with little effort and
special knowledge.  No computer is needed.  And where else do you get a
chance to hear new issues or unfamiliar music?  Even we veterans can
benefit.  I remember hearing Szymanowski's Stabat Mater on WHRB, and
immediately going out to buy the cd.

It can be argued that we don't need Metropolitan Opera Broadcasts anymore,
because we can get whatever we want on cd.  But the public availability
of the Met broadcasts is indeed a unique resource.

I find it a bit ironic that publicly presented classical music is being
used to drive people away from malls and urban centers.  THAT use will
continue to grow.

Bernard Chasan