CLASSICAL  February 2005

CLASSICAL February 2005

Re: Another Classical Station to Bite the Dust?

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:10:16 -0600

William Hong wrote:

>Evidently, the problem is one cited elsewhere--lowered ratings caused
>by a decline in numbers of people who listen to classical music, thus
>affecting the fundraising efforts for the station.  News and talk are
>seen as more reliable revenue builders, especially in an era where any
>sort of subsidies to public broadcasting in the U.S. is likely to go
>by the wayside.

I know, those of you long time members of this list are used to my line
on the subject...but...one of the reasons public broadcasting has a tax
exempt status and gets government funding is that it is supposed to fill
in gaps not provided by commercial stations, hence, by definition, not
trying to win popularity contests.

I can understand that the number of people listening to classical music
on NPR would decline, since many of the NPR stations are less and less
identified with classical music, and the NPR formulas are not generally
not designed for serious listeners...prohibitions against vocal music,
anything written after 1920 (especially during the daytime...unless it
is Rhapsody in Blue).

I wonder if many have not turned to other places to hear classical music.
The internet stations (check out the wonderful list Dave maintains at
classical.net) provide greater variety.

Before our local, non-NPR classical station was destroyed by the NPR
mentality, we had 4 announcers with doctorates in music...  For me, it
is an example of bean counters counting the wrong beans...and dealing
irresponsibly with their mission and the educational needs of the
public...and I for one, angry that NPR still gets tax breaks and
government funding.

Karl (preaching again to the choir)