CLASSICAL  February 2005

CLASSICAL February 2005

Re: Crumbs From The NPR Table

Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:26:28 -0500

This discussion is heading towards the familiar theme of "Whither Classical
Music?" {Heh heh!  I'm reminded of the "whither Canada?" episode on Monty
Python}

But seriously, for those who have time on their hands, here's how I see
this.

In spite of the vociferous minority that, for reasons ultimately political,
deplores the US Government's less than enthusiastic support for those
aspects of Art and Education that relate to the things formerly enjoyed
by the American educated elite --that is the intellectual elite, not the
economic elite-- namely Classical music, Classical Art, Sculpture,
Architecture, and Literature, I believe that the problem is a personal
one, and the things we can do are all at the personal level.  You can't
make schools teach things that the elected representatives of the people
do not support.  It amounts to saying: the People should not control
Education.  Think about it.  You might believe in it, but you cannot say
it without looking like an idiot.  I say it, because I don't care, and
around here I'm called "Idiot."

1.  We must make our children familiar with classical music.

This is a bigger challenge than we imagine.  We have all read the
numerous stories other members have told about their successes and
failures in this department.  Children can be everything from docile
parent clones, to spirited non-conformists, to hard-line conservatives
(okay, I think that was from a TV show) to eclectic lovers of everything.
Every child requires a different approach.  Dagnabit, every *spouse*
requires a different approach: some of these tolerate classical music
because they love us, some of them come around to actually liking the
stuff, some of them married us *because* we liked the same things.
How much more complicated the situation with kids must be!

It also requires compromise.  Classical music lovers are an uncompromising
lot.  Now, now, there's no sense getting worked up: if you're an easygoing
type, I'm not talking about you, dear sir/madam.

2.  Our attempts could extend to our children's friends.  What a
revolutionary idea!  When my daughter brought home a buddy who had learned
the A minor 2-part invention by Bach, I called her in, had her play it,
and oohed and aahed for all I was worth, and then my daughter and I
learned the darn thing.

Why did we bother, when a little ranting and raving at the school board
could have had our hired lackeys doing the same thing in school, where
all this ought to take place in a controlled and safe environment?
Because my time is worth less than that of the hired lackeys.  And because
I love the stuff, and I don't teach music just for a living.  (I better
stop that line of thought right there, before I get deported.)

3.  Encourage local ensembles.

Those who live in metropolitan areas tend to think (and probably
justifiably) that other areas do not exist.  But one of the most
wonderful things about being a lover or classical music far from the
madding metropolitan crowds is to listen to small ensembles playing
string quartets, duets, all sorts of chamber music.  I'm not saying that
we should do this at the cost of paying billions to keep the Symphonies
going.  We should do that too.  As a great man once said, Su billiones
es mi billiones.

However, in a time when the Pittsburgh Symphony has filed for bankruptcy
(spelling?) we face the prospect that a few symphony orchestras will
gain a monopoly on the symphonic repertoire.  Classical music may soon
go underground.  I can't think of anything more delightful.  To furtively
go about trading used CDs (like Ernie buying an letter N from a Sesame
Street vendor?) just fills my little heart to overflowing.  I've been
an upstanding BMG/Amazon consumer far too long.  Vive La Revolution!
Vive La Warhorses!  (oops!)

Arch (Santu de Silva)