ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tinsley Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:51:45 -0400

I don't know of that particular activity, but I'd be interested in how
it's setup and tested.

Triclosan, the antibiotic included in those "antibacterial" products is
bacteriostatic, meaning that it prevents the growth of bacteria (versus
bacteriocidal antibiotics which have a direct killing action).  The idea
behind the products is that the soap kills the existing bacteria and the
triclosan prevents the growth of new bacteria, at least for a little
while.  E. coli divide every 20min or so, but I don't know how long the
triclosan is purported to last on surfaces, hands, etc.  So if you did
an "instant" test (e.g. tried to culture colonies by placing the washed
hand on a petri plate with agar) with regular soap vs. antibacterial
soap, you probably wouldn't see much difference.  It would be more
interesting to compare soap, bleach, and alcohol (the active ingredient
in those hand gels) because each kills the microbes in a slightly
different way.

-Tinsley
Museum of Science, Boston