CLASSICAL  January 2005

CLASSICAL January 2005

Re: Musical Quotations 9

Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:25:34 +0200

Robert Peters writes:

>The main difference between Furtwangler & Strauss and Adenauer &
>Schumacher is that Furtwangler & Strauss agreed (for whatever reasons)
>to act as representatives of the regime and thus lived in safety and
>wealth whereas Adenauer & Schumacher were opposed to the regime and paid
>bitterly for it: Adenauer was imprisoned in the Gestapo prison Brauweiler
>and Schumacher in the concentration camps Heuberg, Kuhberg, Dachau,
>Flossenburg and Neuengamme.  He was severely tortured....

Agreed, but somewhat beside your main point throughout this discussion,
namely that the virtuous way was to emigrate.  Among anti-Nazi composers
who chose not to emigrate there figured, very notably, Karl Amadeus
Hartmann.  He went into internal emigration.  Was that all right?  To
be sure, Robert Peters knows his Schumacher, whose insistence on staying
on resulted in his detention in concentration camps almost throughout
the duration of the regime.  But to my mind that serves to underscore
the strength of his resolve to handle things in his own characteristic,
confrontational, righteous, good-German, way.  As for Adenauer, his
imprisonment was brief and mild.  Along with Orff, Strauss and Furtwaengler,
he also found himself at large having to stand up to the Nazis as the
best he could.  It's no wonder that his way was slicker, more practiced,
and more effective.  For instance, he insisted on having his (prominent)
lawyer negotiate the reinstatement of his state pension rights (eventually
succeeding).  He thereby slyly challenged the regime's voluntarism in
trying to dispose of him as it saw fit.  To protect his political stature
he maintained contact with influential friends who had gone on operating
under the regime and who had retained influence in it.  In a way, that
implied a "shaking of hands" with the regime-- albeit at a second, or
third, order.  A token of the effectiveness of Adenauer's tactics was
his almost immediate reemergence as a leading figure in German politics
after the regime's collapse.  Ditto, Schumacher.  It was these two men
who then sent Germany off on its political way to the attainment of a
good and solid democracy.  Strauss, Furtwaenngler, and Orff, for their
part, helped very notably to reconstruct, rehabilitate, and widen the
base of serious music in postwar Germany so that now it ranks very high
up in that sector of the performing arts.  They were not great politicians,
but great musicians rarely are--not even Paderewski.

Oh, and among Adenauer's friendly and enduring contacts under Nazidom
was the Swiss consul-general in Adenauer's longtime power base, Cologne.
He could have facilitated Adenauer's emigration, had Adenauer desired
it.  It was never, quite deliberately, desired.

Denis Fodor