CLASSICAL  August 2004

CLASSICAL August 2004

Re: Mercury Living Presence in Original 3-Channel Incarnations

Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:32:25 +0000

L. Vachnadze asks:

>As I don't plan to buy an SACD player any time soon, should I keep on
>sleeping?

Sleep away, at least for a few months.  I've noticed in the Gramophone
new release sections that SACD releases are much less than 10% of total
standard CD releases.  Although that percentage might rise greatly as
the months progress, the current climate is that very few new recordings
come out on SACD.

Once the percentage hits the 30 or 40% mark, I'll likely change over to
a SACD player.  However, I doubt that I'll take the 6-channel surround
sound route, because I do most of my listening on headphones.

In my heart, I'd like to see SACD retire quickly.  I've heard a few
SACD's in the surrond sound mode at a friend's house.  It's impressive,
but I don't find it a giant step forward.  Lousy music is still lousy,
and performances I don't like remain unlikeable.  But the market will
eventually reach a balance and determine the outcome.  I have been
surprised at the relatively low prices for SACD's, except that the
Tilson Thomas Mahler 4th has a price of about $25 at the local Borders.

The writer also asked just what is SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc).  I'll
leave the explanation to major fans such as John Smyth, just adding that
Hybrid SACD's will play on standard CD players.

I suppose that what bugs me about SACD is that it requires new equipment
and is therfore being pushed strongly by those sources that will benefit
from the changeover.

Don Satz