CLASSICAL  July 2004

CLASSICAL July 2004

Re: How the iPod Saved My CD Collection

Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:15:34 +0000

David Cheng writes:

>I didn't have a CD player in my car and found the CD size too awkward to
>deal with anyway.

I love having a CD player in my car.  My wife got me one for my birthday
three years ago, and it's easily the best gift I ever received.  I haven't
found the CD size a problem - I can do everything with one hand, and
that includes opening the jewel case.  What I can't do with one hand is
take the wrapping and the ridiculous tape off a new CD, so I postpone
that activity until I'm waiting at a red light.  Having said this, I'll
likely crash into a vehicle tomorrow while removing Bach and inserting
Scriabin.

Not having had a great day, I'd like to further complain about the tape
at the top of CD jewel cases.  Not that many years ago, the tape was
more user-friendly with a clearly seen long edge that was simple to
remove.  Now, the long edge is gone, replaced by a short and cheap
substitute.  Most times when I pull it, just a small fraction of the
total tape is gone.  Probably someone with a college degree came with
this nonsense and got a big fat bonus for it.

On the bright side, I've started a review project of Scriabin's Piano
Sonata and have been luxuriating the last two days in the 2nd Movement
of his early Sonata in E flat minor - fantastic music with a second theme
of a rhetorical nature to die for.  Along those lines, I picked up the
Robert Szidon 3-CD set of Scriabin's Sonatas a few days ago, and you
don't want to miss out on it.  The cost is about the same as 3 Naxos
CDs.  I feel better now.

Don Satz