From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:02:23 -0500
Hi. I guess I will share a situation and be the ice breaker here. First, let
me say hello, and that I am a nurse and an IBCLC...and a MOTHER!! : )   I am
also a LLL Leader, and that is where my interest in breastfeeding really
blossomed 10 yrs ago.I have 3 daughters, 10, 7, 3 and I live in Vermont.  I
work part time as a private LC in a private practice, and I have 2 partners.

I have had several calls lately from mothers whose babies will not latch.
These women have very very large breasts, and nipples that are large and
flat, ..sort of like a flat wall. There simply is nothing to attach to, and
it is very frustrating once the milk comes in.  The pattern has been
engorgement and no latch, and a frantic mother and baby. The mothers have
been pumping and cup feeding or syringe feeding while they are working with
their infants.

I have been using the eyedropper dripping milk over the breast routine, and
today we actually needed to try a nipple shield...which worked marginally..I
don't like using them, however.

Of course, it is always difficult NOT to get into a situation where your own
emotions MATCH the mothers..then everyone is panicked : )...

I would love to hear from others on how they deal with this problem.

Kathleen Bruce BSN, IBCLC
co owner of Lactnet