From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 14:47:54 -0700
On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Terry Lynn Dise, MD wrote:

> In my experience, long intervals between stools in breastfed infants is not
> uncommon.  My record is 14 days!  This is presuming, of course, that we are
> out of the immediate newborn period, the baby is gaining well, and you are
> SURE that the mom is producing.  None of the moms I've had whose babies went
> many days without stools were on a birth control pill though.

Just had to add: Several years ago, I had a mother in my LLL group whose
big, fat, happy baby only stooled once every THREE weeks. When he went,
he really went! I have noticed that the babies I know of who have long
intervals between BM's are often very large for age, and almost
roly-poly. Of course, we are talking babies who are over 3 mos of age....

-Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]