CLASSICAL  July 2001

CLASSICAL July 2001

Coming up on Performance Today

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:23:12 -0400

COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY
JULY 23 - 27, 2001

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, JULY 23

Hour 1 -- A world premiere: Music written for friends whose lives have
been cut short by AIDS.  Our former Young Artist-in-Residence, Jeremy Denk,
is the soloist in the world premiere performance of "Cut Time," Variations
for Piano and Chamber Orchestra by California-based composer Jake Heggie.
We'll hear the performance from the EOS Orchestra at the Ethical Culture
Society in New York City.  Jeremy Denk also reads from his travel journal.

Hour 2 -- Left-handed Janacek: After World War One, when several pianists
lost the use of their right hands, composers responded with music for the
left hand alone.  One of those composers was Leos Janacek, who responded
with a Capriccio for Piano and Winds.

Tuesday, JULY 24

Hour 1 -- Calling all metronomes!: This year's Eclectic Orange Festival
in Southern California is calling for metronomes.  The festival program
includes Gyorgy Ligeti's Poeme Symphonique for 100 metronomes.  In an
interview with Fred, Executive Director of the Philharmonic Society of
Orange County, Dean Corey, tells how YOU can participate in this
performance.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with Portamento: Miles Hoffman joins Fred for a
lively conversation about this slippery term, with examples of sopranos and
violinists sliding their way from one note to another.

Wednesday, JULY 25

Hour 1 -- Fresh-faced Elgar: Alisa Weilerstein is still a teenager, but
she's been hailed as a cellist to watch.  We'll hear her solo in the Cello
Concerto by Edward Elgar.  Marin Alsop introduces the piece and conducts
the Colorado Symphony Orchestra.

Hour 2 -- How did the nightingale get in there?: When Ottorino Respighi
wrote "The Pines of Rome," he included a part for a nightingale -- on a
phonograph.  We'll hear "The Pines of Rome" played in a summertime musical
oasis, Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  Eiji Oue conducts the Grand Teton Festival
Orchestra in a recent concert performance.

Thursday, JULY 26

Hour 1 -- Spotlight on conductor Christoph Eschenbach.

Hour 2 -- Basic Vaughan Williams: PT critic Ted Libbey joins Fred to add
recordings of the Symphony No.2, the "London" Symphony by Ralph Vaughan
Williams to the PT Basic Record Library.  It's a portrait of the city of
London.

Friday, JULY 27

Hour 1 -- Swafford on Wagner: This summer, Daniel Barenboim stirred up
international controversy when he conducted music by Richard Wagner in
Israel.  We asked author Jan Swafford to help us get a clearer idea of the
man whose music transformed art and whose life still arouses such fervent
debate.

Hour 2 -- Musical offerings: We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

CHECK OUT THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE!!: Listen to Robert Kapilow
reveal the nuances in "Over the Rainbow" ....  Check out Terry Teachout's
commentary on "Guilty Pleasures".... Listen to a PT exclusive interview with
Gian Carlo Menotti....Check out the Van Cliburn gold medallists perform in
our Studio 4A....Get up-to-date with the PT Basic Record Library...Order
your copy of "Peter and the Wolf: A Special Report." You'll find it all at
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/.

  **PLEASE DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO [log in to unmask]**

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.