CLASSICAL  August 2000

CLASSICAL August 2000

Re: CD Covers in Bad Taste

Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:10:37 +0200

Bob Draper wrote:

>Satoshi Akima:
>
>>Here is a delightfully vindictive website which I think quite rightly takes
>>record companies to task for their often dreadful taste in the choice of CD
>>cover art.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/2216/bad.html
>
>I visited the site and quite frankly reckon its a lot of hot air about
>nothing.

I definitely agree.  As usual its a qestion of personal taste.  The
Korndorf cover on that site I find rather impressive and also the covers
of the Denon Mahler and the EMI Matrix series are not that ugly (IMHO).
In general, I do not rally care for the cover.  Most CDs I order via
internet, thus mostly I see the cover after I bought the CD. The only
important issue for me is the musical content and I certainly would buy a
terribly ugly CD which has a piece of music on it I am interested in.  You
think anybody would buy a classical CD just because of the cover or, leave
it in the shelve because it has an ugly one? And if you have to choose
between a couple of recordings of the same work I guess people rather look
for the price and the musicians!

Achim Breiling