Re: Repeats

Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:23:54 +0000

Same subject line but different subject, if you see what I mean.

Andrys Basten:

>First, I imagine you must have "Blind Faith" (Clapton, Winwood, Baker,
>Grech), which is one of my all-time favorite recordings, then and now.

Certainly do.  The original LP is one of the small number I've retained
for sentimental reasons, and the CD reissue (with a couple of extra tracks,
RSO/Polydor 825 094-2) has a place of honour in the "quick access" part of
my storage system.  It's accompanied by other things from the same period
- some Jack Bruce (I don't think "Songs For a Tailor" has ever been put on
CD in one piece, although I have all the tracks) and most of Jon Hiseman's
Colosseum.  Which includes some extremely authentic Bach influence.  And
Jack Bruce was (and probably is) a great Bach admirer.

>Did I find I didn't love the symphonic sound anymore? Not at all.  I
>added a love of another type of sound.  With music, unlike life-partners,
>two loves can co-exist, one not complaining to me about the other.

Total agreement about that.  Except for me it's many more than two.  I'm a
full-blooded musical polygamist.

>The other thing that confuses me is why you keep telling him his tastes
>may change.

Because it's true.  Also because Don and I know each other's views quite
well and enjoy teasing each other a little occasionally.

>So may yours.  What's the point though? Is it because you
>feel that HIP performance are a FAD?

No I don't, no matter what I may have hinted at in one of my more
light-hearted moods.  It is perhaps a "fashion" - but only in the sense
that just about everything is.  As I've said before, although some people
seem determined not to believe it, I buy HIP recordings, book HIP tickets
with my hard-earned cash, I put my bum on Historically Informed seats in
Historically Informed concert halls, I read Historically Informed articles
and books and - above all - I regularly and reliably enjoy and value
Historically Informed Performances.  What I do not do is believe that HIP
is the One True Revealed Religion.  I think that performing historical
music in other ways may be equally valid, and can lead to the discovery
of surprising beauty in unexpected places.  Openness and pluralism are
my watchwords.

Ian Crisp