Re: Repeats

Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:50:21 -0800

Ian Crisp wrote regarding Don Satz's statement re his HIP recordings:

>>Personally, I'll love them as I do my wife - unconditionally and FOREVER.
>. . .
>Stimulated by a thread on another CM list, I spent part of today watching
>a video "Goodbye Cream" of the farewell concert that Eric Clapton, Jack
>Bruce (still one of my all-time favourite rock musicians) and Ginger Baker
>gave at the Albert Hall some thirty years . . . The parts I enjoyed most now
>were probably the ones that I liked least then, and vice versa.  Time is a
>strange thing, and Don, I don't believe that even you can see all that far
>into it.

First, I imagine you must have "Blind Faith" (Clapton, Winwood, Baker,
Grech), which is one of my all-time favorite recordings, then and now.

But I'm confused about two things.  Don made a commitment to his wife
because humans like to do these things for one another, but no one needs
to make a commitment to pieces or styles of music (!) So, vowing to love
his recordings decades from now is more a statement of purpose than I'd
expect from just how we respond to music at different points of our life.

HOWEVER, got to say also that I spent 8 yrs in the symphony chorus here and
went straight into early music, playing harpsichord and the full range of
recorders.  I loved the sound, I loved the style.  Did I find I didn't love
the symphonic sound anymore? Not at all.  I added a love of another type of
sound.  With music, unlike life-partners, two loves can co-exist, one not
complaining to me about the other.

After 12 years, I went back to the symphony (big anniversary year)
and loved it.  I still did the early music during that time, and now I
alternate between constant piano playing from later periods while still
enjoying early music with my friends.  I love the HIP sounds I first heard
by the best in the late 70s and early 80s.  No change in 20 years.  Does
adding interests mean our interests have to change? At any rate, I'm
straining to think of things I used to love but don't anymore and I can't
think of them though I can think of things I might not -admit- to loving.
It could be the taste of the times change while individual ones may not,
with some people.  Don is probably another one.

The other thing that confuses me is why you keep telling him his tastes
may change.  So may yours.  What's the point though? Is it because you
feel that HIP performance are a FAD? I don't think you'll find that this is
so.  In the 20 years that I've enjoyed it, while still enjoying symphonic
sounds, I love the playing of early music with early instruments and
shorter phrases even more than I did 20 years ago.  There's something
in that which suits me in a deep way with that music.  I doubt this will
change.  I had 40 years of hearing early music the other way but only a
couple of weeks to love the 'new' way even more.  I still enjoy good modern
performances of early music, unlike some I know, but I also just enjoy
quite a bit more good period-performances.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books