From:
Catherine W Genna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:51:14 EDT
Lisa,
Saw a Lifetime Medical (cable) television piece on endometriosis 2 years ago, of
course a major sponsor was a pharmaceutical firm selling GnRH agonists, but
here's the scoop:
normal Gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) release is pulsatile, as are most
repro related hormones, including prolactin and oxytocin.  Women who have
endometriosis are postulated to have an abnormal release pattern for GnRH, while
usually maintaining normal serum levels.  Seems to cause retrograde
menstruation, forcing menstrual blood/shed endometrial tissue out of fallopian
tubes as well as cervix, irritating peritoneal tissues/organs.  some endometrial
tissue begins to grow in the body cavity, proliferating, secreting hormones,
then being shed along with the normal 'in situ' endometrium, causing more
irritation, pain, scarring, inflammation...Giving GnRH agonists seems to help
some women according to the programs.
        Here's my theoretical 2 cents:  Is it possible that the hormones secreted
by the ectopic endometrial tissue is messing up this mom's supply?  Does her
supply rebound after menstruation, say during the proliferative phase, to
regress again during the secretory phase? It is interesting that the babies all
got bacterial infections at the point where they began to ftt. How about
allergy?  Did the herbs precede the infections?
The more we know, the more we realize how much we don't know, no?
        Keep us posted,
Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC