Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:10:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Nikki writes:
<<I just got off the phone with the mom whose baby has bloody stools and
crystals. <snip> She has gone completely vegan (among other restricted foods), at
the doctor's request.>>

Okay, I am vegan and happy to help anyway eat vegan, but why is she doing this? I would think that gluten might be a big suspect here. How was it determined that she should not eliminate gluten?

BTW, I don't consider being vegan to be restrictive in any way. To me, that is like saying I restrict my bf baby from AIM.

I would think that there would be a couple of considerations. If this is temporary, you might not want to introduce too many new foods--just concentrate more on the ones she knows. You know, rice milk instead of cow milk, vegan margarine, cook all beans with seaweed to reduce gassiness, rely on lots of veggies, salads, some nuts and nut butters (unless they are suspected), rice, avocado, soups are good, refried beans--tacos are simple, hummus, veggie burgers (sunshine burgers have no soy or gluten). Get a good simple veg cookbook like American Wholefoods Cuisine and skip the dairy and eggs. Teach her how to replace them--I use flax seed to replace eggs--most people anything I ate while nursing and all of my babies have been vegan from birth. I myself have taken B12 (vegans must, IMO), B vitamins, calc/mag and a good prenatal. For other reasons, I have taken various other herbs and supplements while nursing--but I have nursed for the past 14 years, with one year off). BTW, If this were my baby, I'd  have someone figure out the allergens with kiniseology and skip the elimination diet.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2