From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 08:47:52 -0400
Dear all:

Of course I completely agree with Cathy Genna that these women would definitely benefit
from going to La Leche League or other support meetings.  All of our prenatal
breastfeeding materials as well as materials for newborn care give suggestions for
postpartum support.  La Leche League is on the front cover of the breastfeeding handout,
as are the breastfeeding clinics I run, and mother's groups meetings run by a woman who
is bit on attachment parenting.

One of the mother's I saw drifted to the book when her pediatrician suggested her baby
not stay on the breast so long (and Cathy knows this particular group of pediatricians).
Ordinarily, I don't have that many problems that crop up from this particular pediatrician
who at least does not recommend the 12 hour sleep training at 3 months that another
pediatrician forcefully recommends to the point that I can count on one or two moms per
month in my group in tears over their "failure".

Another mom drifted to the book because she has this strong desire to organize her
baby's life.  It is evident in everything she does.  Letting go is hard for her.

The mom of twins --- well, she deserves a plaque on the wall for her efforts and drifted
into the wrong group for moral support.  She should come to the MOM at Realbirth where
the LC that does that group is definitely attachment parenting oriented.

I find that mothers often don't realize what a wealth of resources are available through La
Leche League.  I think about how I thought Peace Corps was a thing of the past until a
recruiter had a table set out on my college campus and I discovered it still existed and
completely changed my life.  I'm wondering if some moms just think it was something
warm and fuzzy for a time past or that its not relevant for busy Manhattan moms.  But I
still keep telling them about it.

Best, Susan