From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:31:37 -0600
Deann,

Bowel issues like this run in my family :/

What stands out to me with clearly uncontrolled Crohn's, celiac, or whatever
it is, is that this mom is probably significantly malnourished.  She is
going to need lots of postpartum help, and I would not anticipate
straightforward healing after a csection.  If she's bleeding rectally, odds
are good that she is anemic and has been for some time.  A csection means
the baby's cord will be cut very quickly, on top of low iron already.

I'm sad that she's having a csection, but honestly, I'm even more concerned
that she's pregnant in such a precarious position health wise.

She may make milk just fine, and we know many malnourished women can, but my
expectation is that she will be even more exhausted than a typical mom and
feel downright awful for quite some time.  Even if she doesn't have
"technical" issues with breastfeeding, she will need tons of support
nutritionally and practically.  If she were my friend, I would be moving
into the spare bedroom.

Lynn Carter SFO IBCLC
Missouri, USA